Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Timely Decision

Perhaps it isn't a cause for a large celebration, but it certainly deserves a good pat on the back.

It has been nearly three months that I have been without a watch. Ever since my crisis in the library, I have realized as to how dependent I really was on my watch. It was very difficult at first, what with looking at my naked wrist every minute or so and being unsettled realizing every time that I indeed did not have a watch and that I did not know the exact time.

Once I got accustomed to being without a watch, I realized what a world better it is. I get the regular thumbs up from Tex and Andrea, telling me how good it is for me to be without a watch. Ah, I speak as though it were a drug! Whenever someone asks me for the time and when realizing that I do not know, they usually say, "I thought you always had a watch." Andrea usually answers for me with, "Not anymore, Miranda's free now." Yup, that's me; free!

But I must admit, not having a watch is somewhat a weight off of my shoulders. I'll confess now, for years, I have been trapped in the shackles of time. Not having a watch has released me from time's grasp because I cannot always know the time. Of course, there have been the few times that having a watch would have been useful, but even in those instances, it wasn't really a necessity. I have learned to look for pay phones, clocks in restaurants, and large town clocks. I prefer to rely on other clocks rather than my own watch because outside sources of time are harder to become obsessed about. It is actually more relaxing being without a watch.

And now, in light of a new book that our family has acquired, Sex Talk, I have decided to post a few quotes said by a few famous people:

"Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't." -- George Bernard Shaw

"What can you say about a society that say God is dead and Elvis is alive?" -- Irv Kupcinet

"Sex is a wonderful thing shared between two people, but between five people, it's fantastic." -- Woody Allen

"It's just as Christian to get down on your knees for sex as it is for religion." -- Larry Flynt

And on virtue...

"Rare are those who prefer virtue to the pleasure of sex." -- Confucius

No comments: