Sunday, March 26, 2006

An Ode to German

Taking advantage of the free music shows that Bandeen Hall at Bishop's offers, Andrea and I have been lately spending our Friday and sometimes Saturday nights at the Hall, soaking in the classical music.

Tonight, we attended the honours voice performance of a voice major, Rachael. I know her from drama (as she used to be a double major) and through other friends. She has an outstanding voice, and her range is incredible. She picked Mozart, Schubert, Puccini and some more modern guy (as in, he's not dead yet). She has exceptionally good stage presence, and you can tell that she's into the music and that she feels it. Even though we may not understand the words, we can sense what she is singing about just in the way she sings and moves. I especially enjoyed her Schubert pieces; they were the most exciting and the most inspiring to me, actually inducing goosebumps a few times!

I've also noticed that I've been enjoying the German language more and more these days. I mean, I've heard it all of of my life, but I realize that German in music and musical theatre is simply breathtaking. German is perceive as a harsh language whereas Italian is traditionally the beautiful one, made for operas and music. But, I find there is something with German that makes it all the more poignant and awe-strucking when sung. It seems like a more "real" language, something more touching and more humanity driven, whilst Italian seems to be more floaty and angelic to me. I feel German has real soul to it.

It could possibly be owning to the fact that I understand some German and that I can identify more with it; however, I think most has to do with the sound. As beautiful as Italian may sound, it seems like it has less personality, if you will, to it. I feel that German, really just the sound of it, can express moods and emotions wonderfully, whether it be utmost happiness or feelings of suicide. It is versatile, it can grasp life's trials and tribulations, and it inspires and strikes me when sung.

1 comment:

Zaza said...

It's strange how that happens, and it's also strange that you put the majority if your comment, as well as your main point, in brackets. Oh well.

I wonder if I could use the term that something simply grows on you. I don't know if that can be said about everything, though, because there are many things/people out there that just won't ever grow on you.

Maybe children aren't picky -- they just haven't had the time for their "tastes to acquire" yet. Although I am now a large fan of delectable and old cheeses, I doubt I will ever acquire a taste for olives. Or malted vinegar.